Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Quiet Week

We are on a week break from training classes, so this has been a pretty quiet week.

Biggest on our agenda has been vet appointments!  Speedy had to go in on Saturday.  He has been limping in an unusual way for a week or so.  It is not unusual for him to limp a bit now and then when his arthritis acts up, but this was different.  I thought I found a cut on a paw pad and I figured that was causing the problem.  But the cut healed and he seemed to be experiencing worse pain, so I took him in to the vet.

That turned out to be a good move.  He has an infection on his leg - just behind his largest paw pad!  I don't know what happened or how the infection developed, but it is nasty looking.  I'm amazed, actually, that I couldn't find it on my own!  Sometimes it takes a trained eye.

I was very proud of Speedy at the vet.  Years ago he actually had to be muzzled if the vet was going to handle him without my help.  He has always been fine as long as I have a hand on him somewhere, but I used to be very vigilant with him.  Now I don't even have to have a hand on him while he is being examined, and he can go into the back by himself to have blood drawn.  They took him away to clean the wound and he took it all in stride.  He even got compliments on his cooperation!

He came home with antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, drops for his nose (unrelated to the paw issue), and he is feeling much better now.  The infection still looks again, but he is prancing again and he is clearly feeling much more like himself.


Last night it was Dean's turn.  He just needed a routine blood test for his medication, and it was an uneventful trip.

Tomorrow night Sammie goes for his routine bloodwork.

I really should get out some weave poles and work on them with Tessa, just to give her a reminder of what she is supposed to do with six weaves!  That may or may not happen, depending on how motivated I am one of these evenings!

In the meantime, we are all enjoying some down time.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment