Tuesday, June 23, 2020

A Needed Vacation

Well, here we are in June of 2020.  I have not kept up with blogging at all, but with the social implosion that seems to be happening on social media lately, I am seriously considering doing more blogging.

I turn to this blog now to write about our much needed vacation!

We almost didn't have this one!  We reserved the "Cozy Cottage at Minos" back in February.  I was so excited to snag the last week that they had open - the last full week in June.  Ben got the week off of work, and we seemed good to go!

And then the coronavirus hit, everything closed down, and it really looked like this whole trip was going to be cancelled!  In fact, at one point it was cancelled!  In early May, the owner of the cottage contacted us and told us that they were not allowed to rent to out-of-state guests, and that all people who came into Delaware from out-of-state would have to quarantine for 14 days.  Which, of course, was not going to work for a 6 day trip!

So, we cancelled.  And then, just a few days before June, we were contacted again.  Things had changed!  They were allowed to rent to out-of-state guests, and the quarantine was no longer required!  We re-booked, and here we are!!

Some may question the wisdom of taking a vacation in the middle of a global pandemic, but we considered the matter very carefully.  Pennsylvania and Delaware, neighboring states, have both been on a steady down-trend in cases. 

We are not really boardwalk people, and we don't really get out into crowds on our trips.  Mostly, we go off into nature with our dogs, and .... eat!

And, there was Dean Dog to consider.  He turned 14 in February.  And, while he is managing, and doing fine in many ways, every year his back end weakens more and more.  This may well be our last chance to share a beach trip with him, and I absolutely did not want to miss out on what might be his last trip with us.  Now, had we judged that it was dangerous, we would not have come, but - all things being as they are, we definitely did not want to miss out on this one with him.

So, we are here, and I am SO glad that we came!  Yes, things are different than they normally are.  But, there is still a sense of near-normalcy here that I haven't experienced in a long time, and it is really just good to get away from home, and enjoy some down time!



This is the official "emblem" of our trip!


 Because I have a physical issue that makes it impossible for me to wear fabric over my nose, I use a hat/face shield when I go into public spaces where masking is required.

At home, I use this pumpkin to set it on when not in use.  When we were packing, Ben said, "you better bring the pumpkin", and I thought, "yes, I will need it", so I brought the pumpkin!!  It is the first time I have ever taken a pumpkin decoration on vacation!

Our trip down was uneventful.  No problems!  By Sunday evening, we were settled into the cottage!

Here is Bandit, ready to GO!




Rocky has claimed this particular chair as his very own!

Tessa, pretty as you please!


All of us are very glad to be here!!

More photos to come soon!



2 comments: