Friday, September 9, 2016

All Dogs Parkour

Several posts ago, I talked a little bit about getting into Parkour with all three of my dogs this past summer.  Already we are off and running on a brand new Parkour adventure.

Jude Azaren, who founded and runs Cyber Rally-O and the Cyber Rally-O Dance Divisions started a new Parkour venue that is meant to be complementary to the program that is run by the International Dog Parkour Association (IDPKA).  It literally just opened for entries on the first of this month, so it really is brand new.

There are similarities between All Dogs Parkour (ADP) and the titling program run through IDPKA.  But there are also some key distinctions.

In order to title with IDPKA, the dog must successfully complete all of the tasks, to the standard set for that level.  So, in order to earn the Training Level title, the handler must submit video clips of every single exercise that is required for Training Level.  In contrast, with ADP, there are about 50 different exercises to choose from, including some that allow some degree of creativity, and the handler chooses from those to complete 12 for an entry at each level.

I like this.  If there is a particular Parkour behavior that a dog cannot do, or should not do, the handler never has to ask the dog to do it.


On the other hand, in order to make submissions for ADP titles, all 12 of the behaviors must be filmed at one single location.  This presents something of a challenge, especially when one gets home and starts editing together the footage to submit and realizes that there is a video error or something.  One must then go back to that same location in order to get more video in order to complete the submission.  When we filmed Tessa's entry for IDPKA and I needed a couple more clips, I filmed them in the back yard.  That is not an option with ADP.  The clips must be filmed at whatever location is selected for the submission at that level.

One does not have to film 12 different Parkour behaviors at each location.  At each level a certain number of repeats are permitted.  At Level 1, every behavior could be repeated one time - six distinct behaviors are required.  At Level 2, seven distinct behaviors are required, so five repeats are possible.  As one goes up the levels, the number of repeats allowed is reduced.  In addition, at the upper levels a certain number of behaviors from the "Advanced Behavior" category are required.

I honestly wasn't sure at first if I was going to like this, but now that I have filmed and submitted three entries, I like it a lot.  In fact, ADP is now my preferred Parkour venue!

Tessa and I filmed first.  We filmed at Village Park in Carlisle, PA.  That is one of my favorite places to work on Parkour with my dogs.

Tessa did a lovely job, and it turned out that her submission earned the very first ADP title ever!

Tessa's submission:



Next Dean and I filmed at Stuart Park at Barnutz Mill near Mount Holly Springs, PA.  This is a park that has some personal significance for me and it was extra special to work with Dean there.

I registered Dean for the Special Division.  The Special Division is for veteran or handicapped dogs and there are some modifications allowed to some of the exercises, as well as some additional exercises allowed just for Special Division dogs.  In our first submission I did not take advantage of any of those with Dean.

Here is his Level 1 Submission, which earned him the very first-ever Special Division title awarded through ADP!



This was more challenging for Dean than it looks in the video.  Just as we started to work, a train went by on tracks that are very close to the park.  He wasn't sure what the heck that was and it took some doing to get his head back.  He got hot and tired on our first video venture, and I realized that I need to keep these video sessions shorter for him.

I thought I had all of the footage that I needed, but when I got home I realized that I needed one more, and that it would be good to re-shoot a couple of takes, so we went back on another day.

That second day of shooting was very good.  He was familiar with the park on the second visit, and he seemed to know what we were doing there and he was eager to play.  We got some really nice footage that day.


After our first visit, Dean was a little stiff in his hind end, and I realized that I need to take advantage of some of the Special Division modifications for him.  In our second filming session at Willow Mill Park in Mechanicsburg, PA, I did just that!

At Willow Mill, we tried some of the Parking Lot Patterns, which are allowed only for the Special Division dogs.  In addition, when he did an "Under", I found something that he only needed to duck his head under, instead of going something shoulder height.  In Special Division, the dog can also step over an object as a "Jump", and we did that.

Dean enjoyed this.  Again, I had to go back on another day, but that was because the camera didn't record one of the clips.  But I did find that Dean also enjoyed his second visit to the park much more than his first.

Here is his Level 2 submission, which qualified and earned us the Level 2 title!



At Level 1 and Level 2 in ADP, one Q is required to earn the title.  At Levels 3, 4, and 5, three Q's are required, so after this Dean won't earn the titles so quickly.

Another thing I love about All Dogs Parkour - we get ribbons for our titles!

Here are Dean and Tessa's certificates and ribbons!


Just the ribbons!


I am really looking forward to doing more of this.  I hope to take Dean and Tessa all the way through to their championships!

Bandit is still doing a lot of basic training, but he will eventually play, too!


1 comment:

  1. Excellent description of the new venue. And congratulations on the new titles! You and the dogs did really, really well!

    ReplyDelete