Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Maddie . . .

A couple of weeks ago, Sammie had a bit of a mishap and he needed stitches in his leg.  Sammie being Sammie that was not happening without some kind of sedation, so the vet drugged the heck out of him!  So, when we brought him home, he was still out of it - eyes half open, tongue hanging out, limp as a wet noodle!  As Ben was driving home, I was holding Sammie in my arms, and I realized that it felt like I was holding Maddie!  She was such a floppy girl and when she was being held, she would go completely limp, flop against you, and just be there.

Now, Sammie is fine.  He woke up a couple of hours later, the stitches are out now and he is good as new.

But ever since then I have been thinking about how much I miss Maddie.

I miss her bright eyes and her thumpy tail.  I miss the feel of her flopped in my arms.  I miss watching her run and play.  I miss walking into the big bedroom and seeing her sprawled out on the bed.  I miss walking with her in the woods.  I miss singing the silly songs that I used to sing to her.  I miss saying "Maddie Lynn" and "Maddie Maddie Mat Mat".  I miss running Agility with her, although I would probably mishandle the heck out of her now!  I miss the way she would plant herself on the ground on her side when I leashed her because she didn't want to leave the course!  I miss watching her and Dean wrestle.  I miss watching Tessa follow her around and copy her every move.  I miss watching her and Sammie sniffing the fence line together.  I miss calling her and Speedy "the puppies".

I know now that even having moved on, I don't think I will ever really stop missing her.




No comments:

Post a Comment